CAIR-Washington State, a chapter of the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights organization, is seeking a dynamic, creative, and visionary nonprofit executive to help build upon its fourteen years of advancing toward equal opportunity for American Muslims, and a normalized image of Islam and Muslims. Working in partnership with CAIR chapters nationwide, a local Board of Directors and leading a 4-person staff, the Executive Director leads the strategic direction of the organization, serves as chief spokesperson and strategist in Washington State, and ensures the financial sustainability of its programs. The Executive Director is the lead fundraiser for a growing budget of approximately $500k.
For more information about CAIR-WA please review the website: www.cairseattle.org
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate builds upon the past work of CAIR-WA. S/he is a visionary and creative thinker with demonstrated successes in innovating, directing, and implementing movement building. S/he has worked in the trenches and understands how to make change happen. S/he believes deeply in community empowerment and organizing to drive policy change and in mass communication toward social change. S/he is a proven high-level political strategist with a deep knowledge of civil rights issues facing American Muslim communities. S/he inspires the staff team, builds strong relationships and coalitions, understands the art and the science of management and leadership, and is not afraid to do things that have never been done before. S/he embodies the belief that American Muslims are part and parcel of American society and deserve equal opportunity and equal treatment.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The Executive Director will have demonstrated abilities in the following areas:
- Deep passion for the values, mission and vision of the organization. Demonstrated accomplishments in civil rights, politics and media issues with a particular interest in furthering the civil rights of American Muslims using these tools. Deep understanding of the social, economic and racial causes of discrimination and injustice.
- Experience in leading an organization of similar or larger size and mission or providing increasingly responsible leadership in a senior management capacity.
- Sophisticated political judgment, understanding of legislative issues and sufficient policy experience to quickly gain in-depth knowledge of CAIR-WA’s substantive issues and to represent these issues locally and nationally.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising plan for similar or larger sized organization, including strong ability to develop relationships with major foundations and individual donors as well as implement creative strategies for raising new sources of revenue.
- Demonstrated experience and comfort in representing very diverse American Muslim communities, working across multiple ethnic communities and ensuring a broad diversity of engagement and participation from multiple sub-communities.
- Ability to develop and foster stakeholder and strategic partnerships across sectors, with particular comfort in working with business, labor, and faith. Ability to develop relationships with ‘unusual’ allies to help move issues forward.
- Financial management skills preferred, including clear financial responsibility and authority for managing similar-sized budgets, accurate financial reporting.
- Strong ability and desire to serve as staff leader and mentor; excellent supervision and staff support skills with proven ability to work with different work styles and to facilitate staff communication and collegiality.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including being able to be key media and public event spokesperson. Exceptional creativity and strategic skills, problem-solving abilities, and proven ability to develop and implement innovative programs and strategies to promote collaboration and achieve mission.
Compensation includes a salary between $60k and $90k commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications. Compensation also includes medical, vision and dental benefits starting day-one, and discretionary leave benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
- Media clips
- Interview transcripts
- Video links
- Written policy analysis of maximum 2 pages
- Written advocacy piece(s) of maximum 1 page
- Op-Eds or other writings of maximum 1 page
Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
CAIR-WA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.